Splunk Search

Why is the time picker not working with date in logs?

davidcraven02
Communicator

Data is forwarded to Splunk every couple of days meaning that the _time stamp relates to the day it was sent to Splunk. The actual date of the event is listed in the logs as e.g Date="2018-03-29 11:48".

How can I make the time picker search the date of the event (Date) rather than the date (_time) the data was ingested by Splunk?

index=summary report=jiracsatresults Key="**" Assignee="**" Classification="**"
| dedup Key
| eval dateEpoch = strptime(Date, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M")
| eval today = now()
| eval daysAgo = round(((today - dateEpoch)/60/60/24), 0) 
|  search daysAgo <= 7
|  table Key, Summary, Reporter, Assignee, Classification, "CSAT Rate", "CSAT Rating Comment", Date

The only way I get the results for a specific Date e.g for a week is using daysAgo <= 7

alt text

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You need to configure props.conf on the indexer(s) to read the timestamp in the log file and assign it while indexing. If Splunk can't determine a timestamp, it will assign a timestamp of when the event was indexed. Post some sample data and I will help you create that props.conf stanza

davidcraven02
Communicator

Ok perfect thanks. Here is an example raw log.

04/02/2018 09:00:00 +0100, search_name="Support - CSAT Results", search_now=1522662477.000, info_min_time=1522656000.000, info_max_time=1522662477.000, info_search_time=1522662477.324, Assignee=test_user, CSAT Rate=5, Classification="Hardware Issues - PC", Date="2018-03-29 11:48", Key="TEST-457", Reporter=test_user, Summary="Laptop Health Checks", report="jiracsatresults"

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Add this stanza to your props.conf and restart the splunkd service on the indexers and it will work correctly

[stash]
TIME_PREFIX = Date="
TIME_FORMAT = %Y-%m-%d %H:%M
MAX_TIMESTAMP_LOOKAHEAD = 18
0 Karma

davidcraven02
Communicator

Thank you but I have just realized that will affect other other logs that actually have the correct date format.

Would it be possible to have two text inputs "Earliest" and "Latest" which a user can enter the number of days for both to select a period of time. Not sure how to actually implement that.

i.e "Earliest" = 40 days ago AND "Latest" = 20 days ago

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is the importance of sourcetypes.. You assign a sourcetype on the "shape" of the data. Since this data format has a different shape, you need to assign it a different sourcetype.

The answer to your question is yes, but the best approach would be to assign it a new sourcetype.

You will need to first convert that date format into epoch time, then specify the earliest and latest

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please accept the answer if this answered your question

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...