Splunk Search

Why is stats count not working correctly in my search?

Path Finder

Hi all, below is the search that I'm working with

index=main source=mysql-pipe sourcetype=pipeline_logs AND (message="bank* per-node-processing" AND msg_type="BEGIN") | rex field=field7 "tag=\"(?.*)\"" | eval run_id=run_name.".".tag_value | eval stime=strptime(time_at,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") | join run_id [search index=main source=mysql-pipe sourcetype=pipeline_logs AND (message="bank* per-node-processing" AND msg_type="COMPLETE") | rex field=field7 "tag=\"(?.*)\"" | eval run_id=run_name.".".tag_value | eval etime=strptime(time_at, "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")] | stats count by date_mday

When I run this either across All Time or the last 30 days, the count only returns for the days 14-22. However, if I choose a specific day, say Nov 8th, the count returns the accurate date_mday. It gets stranger too, if I search for a specific run that doesn't occur in the 14-22 range, a result is returned with the accurate date_mday even when run on an All Time basis.

I ran a stats count by date_mday on both separate searches and both return an accurate count with the range 1-31, it's when they are joined that this occurs. Any insight would be much appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Revered Legend

I've seem expensive command like join, transactions etc, dropping events silently when running of huge amount of data. In your case you can definitely remove join with a stats implementation. Try something like this. (check the rex is correct or not).

index=main source=mysql-pipe sourcetype=pipeline_logs AND (message="bank* per-node-processing" AND (msg_type="BEGIN" OR msg_type="COMPLETE") ) | rex field=field7 "tag=\"(?<tag_value>.*)\"" | eval run_id=run_name.".".tag_value | eval stime=strptime(time_at,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
| stats dc(msg_type) as msg_types by run_id date_mday | where msg_types=2 | stats count by date_mday

NOTE: There is a code sample button on type of the text box (saying 101 010). Please select your query/configurations and click on that button OR press Ctrl+K key to format it and retains field extractions, asterisks etc.

Updated

Yup

index=main source=mysql-pipe sourcetype=pipeline_logs AND (message="bank* per-node-processing" AND (msg_type="BEGIN" OR msg_type="COMPLETE") ) | rex field=field7 "tag=\"(?<tag_value>.*)\"" | eval run_id=run_name.".".tag_value | eval stime=strptime(time_at,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
| eval temp=date_mday."##".run_id
| chart values(stime) over temp by msg_type 
| eval TimeDiff=(COMPLETE-BEGIN)/3600
| eval date_mday=mvindex(split(temp,"##"),0)
| stats sum(TimeDiff) AS Sum by date_mday

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Revered Legend

I've seem expensive command like join, transactions etc, dropping events silently when running of huge amount of data. In your case you can definitely remove join with a stats implementation. Try something like this. (check the rex is correct or not).

| stats dc(msg_type) as msg_types by run_id date_mday | where msg_types=2 | stats count by date_mday

NOTE: There is a code sample button on type of the text box (saying 101 010). Please select your query/configurations and click on that button OR press Ctrl+K key to format it and retains field extractions, asterisks etc.

Updated

Yup

| eval temp=date_mday."##".run_id
| chart values(stime) over temp by msg_type 
| eval TimeDiff=(COMPLETE-BEGIN)/3600
| eval date_mday=mvindex(split(temp,"##"),0)
| stats sum(TimeDiff) AS Sum by date_mday

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Path Finder

Sorry, I was using a stats count command just for testing purposes. Instead of the stats count command it should be replaced with this

| eval TimeDiff = (etime-stime)/60/60 | stats sum(TimeDiff) AS Sum by date_mday

Can this be done without using a join command?

Also, what would be considered a large amount of data?

0 Karma

Revered Legend

Try the updated command. The join/transaction commands are expensive in terms of system resources, so a large amount is a number which can't be processed with available system resources. I don't believe you can benchmark something as large amount, it depends upon your server configurations, load at time of searching etc. So, I generally avoid something which may or may not work all the time.

0 Karma
Don’t Miss Global Splunk
User Groups Week!

Free LIVE events worldwide 2/8-2/12
Connect, learn, and collect rad prizes
and swag!