Splunk Search

Why is my Lookup search not returning results correctly?

tkerr1357
Path Finder

Hello all, 

I am having trouble with a search that is not returning results as it should. The search is below and I have attached an example of the lookup file. When I run a search just looking for an individual IP it does return events but is not working with the lookup file. Any help is appreciated.

index=wineventlog OR index=fortigate
| lookup TORIP TORIP AS src_ip OUTPUT TORIP
| search TORIP=*

tkerr1357_0-1650392273708.png

Labels (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That search seems to be a valid search, but it is looking for all events for all  IPs in that index/sourcetype and then retaining only rows that have a src_ip in the lookup file.

What exactly is not working here? Do you have an event with a src_ip that is in the lookup file that is not being shown?

0 Karma

tkerr1357
Path Finder

When I run a search for one of the individual ips in the lookup file it returns events. 

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Isn't that what the search is supposed to do?

So, if you run that search 

index=wineventlog OR index=fortigate src_ip=100.14.174.187
| search TORIP=*

You are saying it returns events?

Can you be more specific in what you are doing and what is occurring that you believe is not correct

0 Karma

tkerr1357
Path Finder

sorry when I run the search I want to look through those two index's for any event that contans at least one of the ip's in the lookup list

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, what does NOT work in that search?

When you run that search like it is, do you get events?

If you get events, are they events for IP addresses in the list or events for IP addresses NOT in the list or do you get no events.

To be able to help, it would be useful if you can describe what you have done and the results you get and the expected results if that is different. 

0 Karma

tkerr1357
Path Finder

when I run my original search it gets no events.

when I run the following search with an IP that I know to be in those index's over a period of all time it returns no events

| search TORIP=*

when I run the following search it looks like its just returning any event that has a src_ip in it not just whats in the lookup file

index=wineventlog OR index=fortigate [| inputlookup TORIP |rename "TORIP" as "src_ip" |return 999 "src_ip"]

my hope was to run the search every 24 hrs and return all events that match an IP in the lookup file.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So, this search returns NO events?

or after you add

| search TORIP=*

you get no results?

If after the initial phase, then there is no event with a field src_ip as that value, either because it does not exist, or src_ip is not a valid field with that value.

If after the second, there is an issue with the lookup.

The reason the second is returning all IPs is because that evaluated search looks like this

index=wineventlog OR index=fortigate (src_ip="IP_1") OR (src_ip="IP_2") OR ...

which means that you will get ANY event from index=wineventlog OR ANY event from index=fortigate WHERE src_ip matches the set of IPs. - Brackets needed round the index statements.

I assume this statement works and returns all IPs in the lookup file?

| inputlookup TORIP
| search TORIP=*

0 Karma

Stefanie
Builder

Hi @tkerr1357 

Try this search and see if it produces the data you're looking for.

index=wineventlog OR index=fortigate
[| inputlookup TORIP |rename "TORIP" as "src_ip" |return 999 "src_ip"]
0 Karma

tkerr1357
Path Finder

the search worked but seems like its returning all IPs not just the ones in the lookup file.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...