Splunk Search

Why is multiple OR not working as expected with AND clause in search query?

hgoyal
Engager

Hi Everyone,

I have a requirement to implement a search query where I have 3 unique values and one common value

3 unique values-> A, B, C

1 Common Value-> D

I am doing something like (A and D) OR (B and D) OR (C and D)  but it is not giving any search result but it should give as  (C and D ) is true.

@gcusello if is  possible can you help?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

wmuselle
Path Finder

no result? , make sure your AND and OR are uppercase.
also as @ITWhisperer said combining your ORs should work.

are these stored in 2 fields or just 1?

0 Karma

hgoyal
Engager

There is a single field on which these values are matched. Bucket Name

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In general, ANDs and ORs work as expected, which means there must be something specific about your scenario for it to not work. Without the specifics, e.g. actual (anonymised) examples, it is going to be difficult to help you further.

0 Karma

hgoyal
Engager

Hello,

I think I know why it is not working. I was trying to make AND work on different events .

For example one event has A value
And there is another event with B value 
And I am trying to apply multiple AND and OR between different events .

Is there anyway to apply AND and OR between 2 different events and their values ?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The simple answer is no - Splunk works on a pipeline of events, so each comparison applies to one event at a time. Having said that, there are ways to combine events into single events, to which comparisons can be applied, and also ways to combine values from other events, so that cross-event comparisons can be made. It depends on your usecase.

0 Karma

hgoyal
Engager

Hi, 
I tried to combine two different eventtype events in one single event.

Eventtype = First and Eventtype =Second 

eventtype="First " OR eventtype="Second "| transaction eventtype maxspan=1s | eval combined_event()=mvjoin(event, " ") | table combined_event

But it group the events of First and Second it didnt added FIRST+Second into single eventtype is this possible?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, using transaction eventtype will separate groups of events by eventtype so First and Second will be in different event (groups). Perhaps, instead of talking in generic terms, with you introducing additional variables to your usecase, it might be useful if you describe your exact usecase in more detail. What exactly are you trying to do?

0 Karma

hgoyal
Engager

Okay. I have one variable say bucket_name. It exists in eventtype ->First and eventtype->Second 

So this is a common field in both the eventtype.

But I want to combine these both events so that I have both the bucket names into single eventtype. 

And that's why I was trying to perform OR and AND operator. TO extract bucket name value .

My use case is I want to Search only the bucketnames which exists with some other specific bucket names using search keyword 

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This still isn't clear - do you have the same bucket_name in two different events, one of event type "First" and the other of event type "Second"; or, events of type "First" with different bucket_names and events of type "Second" with a different set of bucket_names?

Please share some sample (anonymised) events to make this clearer.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you have should work, although you could try (A or B or C) AND D.

Can you share some events which you think should be being picked up which aren't?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...