Splunk Search

Why is lookup not showing results?

TolTest
Explorer

Hey all,

Does anyone know why this isn't working (I'm a new Splunk user)? I'm trying to show the errorMessageFilter, errorCode and errorAlertValue from the CSV file in the table.

CSV file:

errorMessage,errorMessageFilter,errorCode,errorAlertValue
Test1,Value1,1,10
Test2,Value2,2,10
Test3,Value3,3,100
Test4,Value4,5,100
Test5,Value5,5,100

And this is my query so far:

index = index1
cf_app_name = app1
[ | inputlookup critical_errors.csv | table errorMessageFilter | rename errorMessageFilter as msg | format ] AND NOT NULL
| lookup critical_errors.csv errorMessageFilter OUTPUT errorCode, errorAlertValue
| eval time = strftime(timestamp/1000000000,"%a %b %d, %Y, %T")
| table time, cf_space_name, cf_app_name, msg, errorCode, errorAlertValue

Everything in the table results shows fine, with the exception of errorCode and errorAlertValue. These 2 are empty. 

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For wildcard lookups, you need to use advanced options and set WILDCARD matching for the lookup field

ITWhisperer_0-1686825825575.png

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try changing this line

| lookup critical_errors.csv errorMessageFilter as msg OUTPUT errorCode, errorAlertValue
0 Karma

TolTest
Explorer

errorCode and errorAlertValue are both still empty.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So the filter [| inputlookup ...] works giving events with msg field with exactly the same values as in the errorMessageFilter column of the csv, yet the lookup with the msg field against the errorMessageFilter finds no matches?

Please can you give a real (although anonymised) example of an event and the line from the csv demonstrating this?

0 Karma

TolTest
Explorer

CSV File:

errorMessage,errorMessageFilter,errorCode,errorAlertValue
Test1,Value1,1,10
Test2,Value2,2,10
Test3,Value3,3,100
Test4,Value4,5,100
Test5,Value5,5,100

Query:

index = index1
cf_app_name = app1
[ | inputlookup critical_errors.csv | table errorMessageFilter | rename errorMessageFilter as msg | format ] AND NOT NULL
| lookup critical_errors.csv errorMessageFilter AS msg OUTPUT errorCode, errorAlertValue
| eval time = strftime(timestamp/1000000000,"%a %b %d, %Y, %T")
| table time, cf_space_name, cf_app_name, msg, errorCode, errorAlertValue

Result event:

time                        | cf_space_name | cf_app_name | msg    | errorCode | errorAlertValue
Wed Jun 14, 2023, 18:01:38 | space1 | app1 | Value1 | |

I hope this is what you meant.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since you seem unwilling to provide real data, here is a runanywhere example showing it working. Note that it uses outputlookup to set up critical_errors.csv so you may want to use a different name!

| makeresults
| fields - _time
| eval _raw="errorMessage,errorMessageFilter,errorCode,errorAlertValue
Test1,Value1,1,10
Test2,Value2,2,10
Test3,Value3,3,100
Test4,Value4,5,100
Test5,Value5,5,100"
| multikv forceheader=1 
| table errorMessage,errorMessageFilter,errorCode,errorAlertValue
| outputlookup critical_errors.csv
| fields - errorMessage,errorMessageFilter,errorCode,errorAlertValue
| head 1
| eval _raw="time                        | cf_space_name | cf_app_name | msg
Wed Jun 14, 2023, 18:01:38  | space1        | app1        | Value1"
| multikv forceheader=1
| table time cf_space_name cf_app_name msg
| search 
    [| inputlookup critical_errors.csv 
    | rename errorMessageFilter as msg
    | table msg
    | format]
| lookup critical_errors.csv errorMessageFilter as msg OUTPUT errorCode,errorAlertValue

0 Karma

TolTest
Explorer

I'm still trying to figure all this out. But I did notice something.

If I use the following query:

| inputlookup critical_errors.csv | table errorMessageFilter | rename errorMessageFilter as msg
| lookup critical_errors.csv errorMessageFilter as msg OUTPUT errorCode
| table msg errorCode

It works fine. It shows me the msg and corresponding errorCode as it should. 
However, whenever I add a | format to the same query:

| inputlookup critical_errors.csv | table errorMessageFilter | rename errorMessageFilter as msg | format
| lookup critical_errors.csv errorMessageFilter as msg OUTPUT errorCode
| table msg errorCode

It no longer works. Could it be because of the | format maybe?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You only need format if you are using the subsearch as a filter to a search command, and even then, it isn't always required (it depends on your data and what you are trying to do with the subsearch).

The format parameters allow you to mess with the delimiters, around the values, around the field/value pairs, between the field/value pairs from the same line, and between the values from different lines, etc.

Try removing it.

0 Karma

TolTest
Explorer

I use it to filter out my results, yes. And removing it from the original query seems to make no difference. 😞 I'm so clueless..

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Perhaps it is time to share your actual events and csv because I have demonstrated the technique working with dummy data?

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For wildcard lookups, you need to use advanced options and set WILDCARD matching for the lookup field

ITWhisperer_0-1686825825575.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...