Splunk Search

Why is eval case not evaluating fields?

lemospt
Explorer

Hi,

i have a field with the models, like below, and with this info i want to define a new field like brand.

lemospt_0-1689847454131.png

i tried different approaches but can't get brand field populated, below a test search with different case, none works but where clause works well.

index=core_ct_report_*
| where (report_model = "cfgHT802")
| eval brand=case(report_model=cfgHT802, grandstream)
| eval brand2=case(like(report_model, cfgHT802), grandstream)
| eval brand3=case(like(report_model, "cfg%"), grandstream)
| table report_model brand brand2 brand3

lemospt_1-1689847761965.png

what is wrong?

What i need is something like this,

| eval brand3=case(like(report_model, "cfg%"), grandstream, ...)

Thanks,

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is grandstream? If it is a field with content, then at least brand3 should have worked. If it is supposed to be a string, then it needs to be quoted (as do the other strings

| eval brand=case(report_model="cfgHT802", "grandstream")
| eval brand2=case(like(report_model, "cfgHT802"), "grandstream")
| eval brand3=case(like(report_model, "cfg%"), "grandstream")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lemospt
Explorer

Thanks both for the inputs @ITWhisperer @yuanliu 

the problem is the missing double quotes on the true condition like @ITWhisperer said.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What is grandstream? If it is a field with content, then at least brand3 should have worked. If it is supposed to be a string, then it needs to be quoted (as do the other strings

| eval brand=case(report_model="cfgHT802", "grandstream")
| eval brand2=case(like(report_model, "cfgHT802"), "grandstream")
| eval brand3=case(like(report_model, "cfg%"), "grandstream")
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

First, note that screenshots are very unfavorable for volunteers.  Please use text for illustration wherever possible.

Secondly, SPL interprets bare strings on the right-hand side (evaluation expressions) as field names.  To match strings, you need to quote them properly.

index=core_ct_report_*
| where (report_model = "cfgHT802")
| eval brand=case(report_model=="cfgHT802", grandstream)
| eval brand2=case(like(report_model, "cfgHT802"), grandstream)
| eval brand3=case(like(report_model, "cfg%"), grandstream)
| table report_model brand brand2 brand3
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...