Splunk Search

Why do we get this error when scheduling a search as a report: "line contains NULL byte")?

danielbb
Motivator

We have a search that runs fine but when we schedule it as a report, we don't get the e-mail and in _internal we see -

05-26-2020 17:10:25.215 -0400 ERROR ScriptRunner - stderr from '/opt/apps/splunk/bin/python /opt/apps/splunk/etc/apps/search/bin/sendemail.py "results_link=https://:8000/app/search/@go?sid=scheduler__myid__search__RMD593055a08ba8cd116_at_1590527400_77786" "ssname=My test" "graceful=True" "trigger_time=1590527424" results_file="/opt/apps/splunk/var/run/splunk/dispatch/scheduler__myid__search__RMD593055a08ba8cd116_at_1590527400_77786/results.csv.gz"':  _csv.Error: line contains NULL byte

What might be the problem?

0 Karma

danielbb
Motivator

The problem was that the developer inserted the NULL character using SED.

Before -

| rex mode=sed s/'//g | rex "session.radius.last.attr.class is (?<radius>\w+)" | rex mode=sed field=radius "s/([0-9A-Fa-f]{2})/%\1/g" | eval radius=urldecode(substr(radius,3)) 

After -

| rex "session.radius.last.attr.class is (?<radius>\w+)" | rex mode=sed field=radius "s/([0-9A-Fa-f]{2})/%\1/g" | eval radius=urldecode(substr(radius,3)) 

Sed works like s/replace-me/with-me/g = that would replace the string "replace-me" with "with-me". So the top (BEFORE) in the first SED replaced the single quote with nothing (NULL) Character. causing the issue – I didn't realize \w+ would match NULL bytes. But it certainly did.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...