Splunk Search

Why did Splunk 9.0.1 "Fail to parse templatized search for field 'i'"?

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm trying to use the Splunk 9 addition in foreach iteration with ITEM, but it always returns "Failed to parse templatized search for field 'i'" on my server, which runs 9.0.1.

| makeresults
| eval i = mvrange(0,3)
| foreach i
    [eval showme = <<ITEM>>]

I previously used <<ITEM>> on a laptop Splunk 9 and it didn't have this error.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Read foreach again.  It turns out that <<ITEM>> iterator requires mode=multivalue (a new flag in Splunk 9).  A proper test construct should be

| makeresults
| eval i = mvrange(0,3)
| foreach i mode=multivalue
    [eval showme = mvappend(showme, "equals " . <<ITEM>>)]

i
showme
equals 0
equals 1
equals 2

Quote is irrelevant in simple field names.

View solution in original post

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thank you, @bowesmana!  Funny enough, change the test to 

| makeresults
| eval i = mvrange(0,3)
| foreach i
    [eval showme = '<<ITEM>>']

(or its mvappend equivalent) does suppress the error, even though it doesn't assign any value to showme - which was my real problem.  In fact, my initial code - for the real problem, used single quotes.  No error but no value, hence the experimentation.  Regardless, the subject question is answered.

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Not sure as I don't have Splunk 9, but that error typically occurs when you don't wrap the right hand side of eval in single quotes.

Just thinking that the value of <<ITEM>> in this case is a numeric 0 to 3, so normally if those numbers were fields, you'd have to wrap them in single quote, e.g.

| makeresults
| eval 0=1
| eval x='0'*2

No idea if that is relevant here though

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Read foreach again.  It turns out that <<ITEM>> iterator requires mode=multivalue (a new flag in Splunk 9).  A proper test construct should be

| makeresults
| eval i = mvrange(0,3)
| foreach i mode=multivalue
    [eval showme = mvappend(showme, "equals " . <<ITEM>>)]

i
showme
equals 0
equals 1
equals 2

Quote is irrelevant in simple field names.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...