Splunk Search
Highlighted

Why am I unable to save my search as a query in a dashboard panel?

Path Finder

I have search that works fine when run manually:

sourcetype=WinHostMonTest | rex field=_raw "CommandLine=(?.+[^\n])" | table CmdLine

But when I try to add it into my dashboard, it complains and the closing and will not save:

<search>
   <query>index=perfmon source=process sourcetype=WinHostMon ProcessId=22864 earliest=$time.earliest$ latest=$time.latest$ host=$Host$ ProcessId=$ProcessID$ | dedup ProcessId | rex field=_raw "CommandLine=(?.+[^\n])" | table CmdLine < / query >
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Why am I unable to save my search as a query in a dashboard panel?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi smudge797,

you need to to escape the < and > in the XML using &lt; and &gt; or the <![CDATA[ tag, fine more details in the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/AdvancedDev/AdvancedIntro#Special_characters_in_XM...

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Path Finder

CDATA worked fine. Thanks!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you really coded it like this < / query > i.e. with spaces, you need to remove the spaces to make it a valid XML closing tag: </query>. But maybe this is just a formatting issue.

Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Oh good spotting!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Path Finder

Nope that's just so it would post in here. Went a bit freaky without the spaces.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Esteemed Legend

Some things need to be encoded (e.g. angle-bracket characters). The easiest way to do this to let splunk do the encoding. First, save the xml with a dummy search that is so basic that Splunk will not be able to complain about it, such as this:

|noop

Then, click Edit Panels (instead of Edit Source) and a Magnifying Glass Icon will appear in the upper-right corner of every panel. Click on this inside your panel and select "Edit Search String". Paste your actual search string into that dialog and click Save. Done.

Highlighted

Path Finder

Cool work around. Thanks!

0 Karma
Highlighted

Esteemed Legend

Pick the best answer and click "Accept" to close the Question.

0 Karma