Splunk Search

Why am I unable to return the correct count of all events with FieldA that contain ValueA?

Path Finder

Hi All,

I am facing some problem with my below search:

sourcetype="clientevents" event_error_code=RB_VOD_BUFFER_UNDERFLOW eventItemID="*" | stats count(eval(eventItemID="*BT*")) as "BT_VOD_buffer_underrun_count" count(eval(eventItemID!="")) as "Total_VOD_buffer_underrun_count" 

Here the "BTVODbufferunderruncount" is always returning zero. The problem lies with count(eval(eventItemID="*BT*")). I have also tried searchmatch, but every time it returns an error.

I want to count all events with "eventItemID" field containing "BT" in its value.

Please help.
Please help.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Communicator

You should be able to use like() in the eval expression to match with wildcards:

sourcetype="clientevents" event_error_code=RB_VOD_BUFFER_UNDERFLOW eventItemID="*" | stats count(eval(like(eventItemID,"%BT%"))) as "BT_VOD_buffer_underrun_count" count(eval(!like(eventItemID, "%BT%"))) as "Total_VOD_buffer_underrun_count" 

But it would be less verbose to eval a field first, and do the stats on that, something like:

sourcetype="clientevents" event_error_code=RB_VOD_BUFFER_UNDERFLOW eventItemID="*" | eval eventItemIdType=if(like(eventItemID,"%BT%"), "BT_VOD_buffer_underrun_count", "Total_VOD_buffer_underrun_count") | stats count by eventItemIdType

View solution in original post

Communicator

You should be able to use like() in the eval expression to match with wildcards:

sourcetype="clientevents" event_error_code=RB_VOD_BUFFER_UNDERFLOW eventItemID="*" | stats count(eval(like(eventItemID,"%BT%"))) as "BT_VOD_buffer_underrun_count" count(eval(!like(eventItemID, "%BT%"))) as "Total_VOD_buffer_underrun_count" 

But it would be less verbose to eval a field first, and do the stats on that, something like:

sourcetype="clientevents" event_error_code=RB_VOD_BUFFER_UNDERFLOW eventItemID="*" | eval eventItemIdType=if(like(eventItemID,"%BT%"), "BT_VOD_buffer_underrun_count", "Total_VOD_buffer_underrun_count") | stats count by eventItemIdType

View solution in original post

Communicator

Note that the second search gives a different result, so you probably want to modify it.

0 Karma

Path Finder

Thanks laserval!

0 Karma