Splunk Search

Why am I unable to output from subsearch?

harryhcg
Explorer

I am having 2 index - abc - FieldA, E, F bcz - Field B, C, D. Where I want to return D, C and F where value from field E to match with B. I am getting the required output but not able to get F values.

This is my query:

index=abc fieldA="<>"
| rex field=_raw .......FieldB .... FieldC.. Field D
| search [ index=bcz FieldF="<>" | rename FieldE as FieldB | fields FieldB]
| stats count as Total by _time, FieldD, FieldC, FieldF | where FieldD="<>"

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your additional search command is just searching for matches in the initial search results, it does not introduce any new events to the result set. In order to do that, you either need to include both index in the initial search, or use append or use join.

View solution in original post

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

According to your description, FieldF is in index abc not bcz.

0 Karma

harryhcg
Explorer

@ITWhisperer  Apologies for confusion, let me try to rephrase. 

Index=abc. FieldA, B, C, D
index=bcz. FieldE,F,G

I want to return _time, B, C, D, G where value from field E to match with B. I am getting the required output but not able to get G values.

This is my query:

index=abc
fieldA="<>"
| rex field=_raw .......FieldB .... FieldC.. Field D
| search [ search index=bcz FieldF="<>" | rename FieldE as FieldB | fields FieldB]
| stats count as Total by _time, FieldD, FieldC, FieldG | where FieldD="<>"

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your additional search command is just searching for matches in the initial search results, it does not introduce any new events to the result set. In order to do that, you either need to include both index in the initial search, or use append or use join.

harryhcg
Explorer

@ITWhisperer Query performance is not very good but getting result. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...