Splunk Search

Why am I unable to convert a PerfmonMK memory value in bytes to kilobytes using eval?

anewell
Path Finder

I am collecting a PerfmonMK dataset that includes a memory value in bytes. I would like to display the value in KB. Normally, I would simply eval the value, but that's not returning anything. Is there something different about the way that multikv keynames are extracted that doesn't work with a subsequent eval? How can I display the value in KB?

Search:

sourcetype="PerfmonMK:Process_SSRS" | eval MemKB=(Working_Set_-_Private/1024) 

_raw (5th field is of interest):

reportingservicesservice 0 1500 47 86646784 0.52650612403541508 0.59231938953984198 

Inputs.conf

[perfmon://Process_SSRS]
interval = 60
object = Process
counters = % Processor Time; ID Process; Thread Count; Working Set - Private; IO Read Operations/sec; IO Write Operations/sec
instances = reportingservicesservice
index= perfmon
disabled = 0 
useEnglishOnly = true
showZeroValue = true
mode = multikv

Splunk Enterprise 6.3.3 on both Indexer and Universal Forwarder.

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

I assume you have verified the field has values. Try renaming the field to one with no hyphens. I seen strange behaviors when fields have hyphen in them. You could also try putting the field name within quotes.

View solution in original post

sundareshr
Legend

I assume you have verified the field has values. Try renaming the field to one with no hyphens. I seen strange behaviors when fields have hyphen in them. You could also try putting the field name within quotes.

anewell
Path Finder

The rename works:
| rename Working_Set_-_Private AS AlphaOnly | eval KB=(AlphaOnly/1024) | table KB

Quoting the field name results in an implicit typeconversion, and throws "Error in 'eval' command: Typechecking failed. '/' only takes numbers."

Thanks for the rename suggestion.

0 Karma

anewell
Path Finder

Convert the comment to an answer and I'll happy award your well-earned imaginary internet points!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try using single quotes around the field name.

...| eval KB=(' Working_Set_-_Private'/1024) | table KB

anewell
Path Finder

D'oh! ...and it saves wear and tear on my Shift key! Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...