Splunk Search

Why am I not receiving results for different time ranges in a subsearch and main search?

chrkohm
Path Finder

Hello!

I'm struggling with the time ranges within my query.

I have two indexes (anonymized)  

index=documentation contains the information which element is mounted in a device.

index= eor contains events for devices

Now I'm trying to search only for events in the index=eor for devices that contain the element=COB for the last xx time range

So I tried to set the time range for the sub search like this:

index=eor name IN (*) status IN (*)
[ search indexdocumentation earliest=1 latest=now()
     | search element = COB
     | table devices
]
| table a, b, c, d

But I'm getting no results.

If I set the time picker let's say to a time range, there are the last events in the documentation index, I'm getting results...

Greetings
Chris
Labels (1)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @chrkohm,

no parenthesis in now:

index=eor name IN (*) status IN (*)
[ search index= documentation earliest=1 latest=now element = COB
     | table devices
]
| table a, b, c, d

In addition, you don't need to have a search and the search for another parameter, you search is slower!

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

chrkohm
Path Finder

Hi @gcusello,

thanks for your quick answer!

I removed the parenthesis but that dosen´t change anything. Still no results.

I shrieked the example extreamly down. So it looks like the actual two searches dosen´t make any sense.

But I use the subsearch to identify the devices that have a specific element mountet and than I like to search only with this devices in an other index for other results.

Greetings

Chris

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If a search as a whole isn't working, cut and split it into smaller parts and see if they work alone. Then add other elements and see when they stop working.

So if you have a search containing subsearch, check the subsearch on its own first.

search index= documentation earliest=1 latest=now element = COB
| table devices

Does this search return anything?

BTW, don't you rather mean something like

earliest=-1h

If you want "earliest=1" you're trying to search from 1970, or effectively througout your whole index. Which means that the search will probably get too big and too long and will get terminated early, giving you bad results and possibly no results at all.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @chrkohm,

please try this:

index=eor name=* status=*
[ search index=documentation earliest=1 latest=now element=COB
     | table devices
]
| table a b c d

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...