Splunk Search

Why am I getting no results using Splunk JAVA SDK to run a search query with the stats command?

Path Finder

I am trying to use the JAVA Splunk SDK to run a query and return the results. I can get the events of the search returned if I use the search query:

String mySearch = "search index=auth \"Start:*.*\"";

However, when I try to use the stats commands with the above query, I get no results:

String mySearch = "search index=auth \"Start:*.*\" | stats count by TypeOfService";

I have tried various approaches, but unable to get the results.

Here is my latest code example:

public void search() {
    String mySearch = "search index=auth \"Start:*.*\" | stats count by TypeOfService";
    JobArgs jobArgs = new JobArgs();
    jobArgs.setEarliestTime("-1m");
    jobArgs.setLatestTime("now");
    Job job = service.getJobs().create(mySearch,jobArgs);

    // Wait for the job to finish
    while (!job.isDone()) {
        try {
            Thread.sleep(500);
        } catch (InterruptedException e) {
            // TODO Auto-generated catch block
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }

    // Specify JSON as the output mode for results
    JobResultsArgs resultsArgs = new JobResultsArgs();
    resultsArgs.setOutputMode(JobResultsArgs.OutputMode.JSON);

    // Display results in JSON using ResultsReaderJson
    InputStream results = job.getResults(resultsArgs);
    ResultsReaderJson resultsReader=null;
    try {
        resultsReader = new ResultsReaderJson(results);
        HashMap<String, String> event;
        System.out.println("\nFormatted results from the search job as JSON\n");
        while ((event = resultsReader.getNextEvent()) != null) {
            for (String key: event.keySet())
                System.out.println("   " + key + ":  " + event.get(key));
        }
    } catch (IOException e) {
        // TODO Auto-generated catch block
        e.printStackTrace();
    } finally {

        try {
            resultsReader.close();
        } catch (IOException e) {
            // TODO Auto-generated catch block
            e.printStackTrace();
        }
    }
Tags (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Path Finder

The problem was related to the TypeOfService in the "stats count by TypeOfService" clause. The permissions on the field extraction TypeOfService was private and specific to an APP. I updated the permissions to Global (All apps), and was able to get the expected results.

View solution in original post

Path Finder

The problem was related to the TypeOfService in the "stats count by TypeOfService" clause. The permissions on the field extraction TypeOfService was private and specific to an APP. I updated the permissions to Global (All apps), and was able to get the expected results.

View solution in original post