Splunk Search

Why am I getting 0 results when trying to filter my search by including a specific sourcetype?

szabados
Communicator

I'm facing an issue which I'm simply unable to understand

I ran a search, simply by specifying the index I want to search in like this:

index=my_index

After this, I selected one of the values which were displayed in the top 10 for the sourcetype field, and added it to my search, so I had:

index=my_index sourcetype=my:sourcetype

And then, I got 0 results. I haven't changed the time picker or anything else, and I'm unable to understand why I'm not getting any results. Checking with the metadata command, I have thousands of events with this sourcetype in the index, and Splunk is displaying this sourcetype in the values of the field, but for some reason I can't run a search for it.

Edit:

When I'm not narrowing my search with that filer, I see the events with that particular sourcetype

Edit2:

Searching with:

index=my_index sourcetype=*

is not yielding any events with this problematic sourcetype.
The sourcetype itself if set by props.conf, could this cause any issues?

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Check with your Splunk admin. It is possible to restrict access to specific sourcetypes

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.4/Security/Addandeditroleswithauthorizeconf#Search_f...

0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Maybe, add double quotes around source type.

index=my_index sourcetype="my:sourcetype"

0 Karma

szabados
Communicator

Yes, when I clicked the value from the list, it automatically added, it didn't work either

0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Simply when you search for

sourcetype=my:sourcetype

what it returns

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...