Splunk Search

When we talk about correlation, is it necessarily because a query is being made in 2 or more sources?

splunkcol
Builder

A question,

When we talk about correlation, is it necessarily because a query is being made in 2 or more sources?

Or is it also considered correlation when certain criteria are searched in a source to try to find a possible event or security incident?

For you what is correlation in Splunk?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

correlation is a general concept that letteraly means correlate information from different events or sources.

I use to speak of Correlation when I have more than one source.

I don't use to speak of correlation when I'm grouping more events from the same source but it could also be considered a correlation, as you prefer.

In Splunk Enterprise Security a Correlation Search is an alert (from one or more sources) or that usually generates a Notable.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

splunkcol
Builder

From your point of view and experience, is a multi-source correlation process easy or difficult?

Normally when you want to correlate in Splunk and not in Splunk ES, you tend to use subqueries? or combination of tables?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

the main problem in Splunk is to know what to do and not how to do it in SPL.

For this reason a correlaton search isn't easy or difficoult, it depends on how deeply I know the data sources I'm using: if I'm managing well known data sources, with all the field extractions and normalizrd data it's easy, using custom data source is longer to implement, not more difficoult!

I rarely use subsearches for their limits (50,000 results) and because each subsearch takes a CPU for all the execution tima, so I prefer a main search with more datasources to correlate using e.g. stats.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @splunkcol,

correlation is a general concept that letteraly means correlate information from different events or sources.

I use to speak of Correlation when I have more than one source.

I don't use to speak of correlation when I'm grouping more events from the same source but it could also be considered a correlation, as you prefer.

In Splunk Enterprise Security a Correlation Search is an alert (from one or more sources) or that usually generates a Notable.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...