Splunk Search

What is the recommended method for sending multi-dimension metrics from .NET app to Splunk Cloud?

insightseval
Engager

I've had a read of various methods for achieving this and find myself confused. As far as I can tell there are the following possibilities:

1. Use Splunk's .NET trace listeners to send to Splunk Cloud. However, the data sent is a simple string, not a set of user defined distinct dimensions.
  2. Go one level lower and use the Common library to send a serialisable object directly to Splunk's HTTP Event Collector. However, I can only find trivial sample code but not any decent C# API documentation that describes things such as batching etc.
  3. Write data to a file and use a Universal Forwarder. This comes with robustness out of the box (and seems to be the recommended approach), but I haven't found anything that describes required file format(s). Our requirement is for our application to log a variety of metrics each with their own set of dimensions - how is this achieved when writing to a file for the Forwarder to pick up?

So before I spend more time on evaluating whether Splunk Cloud is suitable for us, I'd like to know what is the recommended approach and where can I find details of how to achieve this (with actual links).

Thanks

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...