Splunk Search

What is the purpose of the file conf.conf found in .../etc/system/default ?

Thuan
Explorer

I read 12 questions/answers when searching for conf.conf. I still have no idea of the meaning/purpose of that file. Please help.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

The following speaks about the conf.conf - Splunk precedence issue

It explains there the following -

-- $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local takes precedence over any app config (whether local OR default) in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps. If you are using the deployment server, you are best served by not placing any local (site-specific) configs in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local, since these cannot be overridden by apps sent by the deployment server.

Because of the precedence rules set out in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default/conf.conf, the behavior that [~rameshlpatel] is observing is correct, even if it's not what's intended.

dshpritz
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yo dawg,
Splunk heard you liked conf, so they put conf.conf in your conf so you they can conf your conf from conf.

Seriously though, the conf.conf file controls configuration precedence in Splunk. It isn't documented very well, because it isn't meant to be modified. I haven't really messed with it much (nor do I recommend doing so), but here is a fun tip to see the configuration file precedence in Splunk:

grep conf conf.conf | grep ­‐v confdb
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...