Splunk Search
Highlighted

What does the "timechart per_day(total)" do in the Splunk documentation for Time functions?

Explorer

I was reading the documentation on per_day, here: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.0.2/SearchReference/Timefunctions

In it, the first example is timechart per_day(total). What does this do exactly? Does it count the number of events with the field total for each day, and so generate a single data point for each day (and then plot it versus time)?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: What does the "timechart per_day(total)" do in the Splunk documentation for Time functions?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It’s the count of events with the field “total” bucketed per day.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: What does the "timechart per_day(total)" do in the Splunk documentation for Time functions?

Explorer

Okay, this is very clear. I don't know if it's just me, but the documentation's description "Returns the values of field X" sounds rather different - I was first led to believe somehow the value of the field total is of concern..when in fact the value doesn't matter at all, only the existence of the field matters.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Wait, how come I see values like 0.0333? Isn't the count supposed to be an integer? Is some kind of division going on here?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So if you have one view in 7 days, per day is 1/7

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

I see...so the timechart span matters here.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It’s doing the span for you as far as I can tell

0 Karma