Splunk Search

What are some of the "best practices" for utilizing Splunk's prediction algorithms?

sdorich
Communicator

I'm kind of new to using Splunk's built-in statistical algorithms. The following search works but is VERY inefficient (it takes 5+ minutes to even see the results). However, I know that these algorithms are complex so maybe this is "normal" but I wanted to see if the Splunk community knew of a way to make this search/computation more efficient. Thanks in advance.

eventtype=sitescope_cpu | timechart span=1m max(Value) as max_cpu | predict max_cpu | rename max_cpu as "Maximum CPU", prediction(max_cpu) as Prediction

Tags (2)

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

If it is possible then using time range criteria (earliest, latest) might help to expedite search.

0 Karma

sanjay_shrestha
Contributor

Your search looks good to me. It would be helpful to create summary index in the situation when query is taking longer than desired time and populate that with savedsearch in regular interval.

sdorich
Communicator

Well I've tried many ranges but the performance isn't excellent. Obviously the shorter the time range the faster the search but I was just checking with the Splunk community for suggestions regarding my actual search (i.e. can this search be any more efficient or is this the best possible way to get the results I want?)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...