Splunk Search

Varying Field Extractions

attgjh1
Communicator

A sample sequence of my log goes something like this

07/03/2011 15:26,07/03/2011 15:26,...,... Refresh Process is starting up,CLOSED,UNKNOWN,Smarts-Appmon,0,,,,etcetc

OR

07/03/2011 15:06,07/03/2011 15:06,...,... Monitor ...,CLOSED,WARNING,Appmon,0,etcetc
OR

07/03/2011 14:55,07/03/2011 14:55,...,..,...,CLOSED,NORMAL,SNMP,0,etcetc

so.. im trying to extract the [warning]
which varies from "Warning","Normal","Major","Minor","Critical","Unknown"

however Web extraction gives me: "(?i),CLOSED,(?P[^,]+)"
but the field before it could be "OPEN" as well. I tried to add a CLOSED|OPEN but it became an error. can someone enlighten me?

another field im having trouble is [source]
the regex was based on the number of commas, however, from the 2 examples i given, this is not necessarily true as well. they vary from 5(1st and 2nd) to 6 (3rd log). this problem is similar to my first question.

Thanks for taking your time to read!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The following rex statement should bring out the information as warning_level and the_source. I don't think you can extract a field called source (or sourcetype etc) since that is a default field.

... | rex ",\[(?<warning_level>\w+)\],\s*\[(?<the_source>\w+)\]$" |

Note: I added a possible whitespace between warning_level and the_source, since your example didn't really show the actual format. Remove if not applicable.

UPDATE:

Well that pretty much changed the game. There are no longer any square brackets in your events, and the line does not end where you said it did... 🙂

... | rex ",(OPEN|CLOSED),(?<warning_level>\w+),(?<the_source>\w+)," |

should work better with your sample above.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

The following rex statement should bring out the information as warning_level and the_source. I don't think you can extract a field called source (or sourcetype etc) since that is a default field.

... | rex ",\[(?<warning_level>\w+)\],\s*\[(?<the_source>\w+)\]$" |

Note: I added a possible whitespace between warning_level and the_source, since your example didn't really show the actual format. Remove if not applicable.

UPDATE:

Well that pretty much changed the game. There are no longer any square brackets in your events, and the line does not end where you said it did... 🙂

... | rex ",(OPEN|CLOSED),(?<warning_level>\w+),(?<the_source>\w+)," |

should work better with your sample above.

Hope this helps,

Kristian

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

chart c over the_source by warning_level

0 Karma

attgjh1
Communicator

Thanks alot. it helped.

now im gng try some stats/charts to show the source over warninglevels~~~

here's a cookie.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

see update above /k

0 Karma

attgjh1
Communicator

ive added the actual details of the log.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...