Splunk Search

Using where to compare for one value in a multivalue field

lmonahan
Path Finder

Is it valid to use a where clause to compare a string value to a multivalue field in order to know if that value is one of the values in the multivalue field? 

For example,  my query returns this result where firstName is a multivalued field:

lastName    |  firstName
--------      -----------
Smith       |  Amy, Barbara, Carol
Wilson      |  Carol, Deanna, Emily

In my query I add the following to the end of my query to find all rows containing "Carol" in the multivalue field.

where firstName="Carol"

The where clause seems to work fine and returns all the row containing "Carol" in the multivalue field.  I'm wondering if its a supported syntax because I didn't find an example that looks like this and the various "mv" functions seemed to be for more complicated operations.

In this example, I'm looking to get all last names and any associated first name and then use a where clause to return anyone with a particular first name.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's a valid syntax, although you are right, I've never seen it documented that it would work like that.

The alternative MV way to do it is with mvfind, like this

| makeresults
| eval _raw="lastName    |  firstName
Wilson      |  Carol, Deanna, Emily"
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval firstName=trim(split(firstName, ","))
| table lastName firstName
| where !isnull(mvfind(firstName, "Carol"))

View solution in original post

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's a valid syntax, although you are right, I've never seen it documented that it would work like that.

The alternative MV way to do it is with mvfind, like this

| makeresults
| eval _raw="lastName    |  firstName
Wilson      |  Carol, Deanna, Emily"
| multikv forceheader=1
| eval firstName=trim(split(firstName, ","))
| table lastName firstName
| where !isnull(mvfind(firstName, "Carol"))

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...