Splunk Search

Using multiple values in a field to compare to the values in another field

dm22

Hi,

I am looking to using all the values from one field and see if they partially appear in another from a set of mail logs.
I have used eval to produce a list of search terms I need.
I have a list of email addresses which i need to take just the first part before the @ and add a - to it which i have done using:

eval results=ToPerson." -"

This gives me the below examples and are stored in the results field.

1. joe.bloggs -
  2. joe.smith -
  3. joe.brown -

I then want to take all these values and compare them against all the message subjects and if the name "joe.bloggs -" appears in part of the message subject then display the information. I've tried using subsearches but i seem to be having difficulty using all the values in the results field and comparing them against the all the message subjects that appear. I was wondering how to go about this in splunk

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I guess we need to see both your queries, with some sample values to answer you better. Meanwhile try something like this

your base search with message subject field [search your search which gives ToPerson field | eval query="*".ToPerson."-*" | stats count by query | table query ]
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...