Splunk Search

Using kv or extract ain't working

joshua_hart
Explorer

I have a McAfee Firewall Appliance log (Sidewinder for those of us familiar with the tool) that comes to Splunk by way of syslog and I'm trying to extract k/v from the log. Here's an example:

2013-07-19T12:31:41-04:00 Firewall_host auditd: 2013-07-19 16:31:41 +0000 f_ntp_daemon a_server t_netprobe p_major pid: 24912 logid: 0 cmd: 'ntpd' hostname: Firewall_host.fq.dn event: probe attempt srcip: 0.0.0.0 srcport: 123 srczone: internal protocol: 17 dstip: 0.0.0.0 dstport: 123 attackip: 0.0.0.0 attackzone: internal reason: Received a connection attempt destined for a service that the current policy does not support.

I can't figure out what to use as the pairdelim and kvdelim values. I've tried pairdelim=" ", kvdelim=":"; pairdelim="p_major ", kvdelim=":"; pairdelim="p_major\s", kvdelim=":\s"--and every variation in between. Usually I'll place a '| table, srcip' on the end to see if it extracts the fields, but no such luck.

-Josh

Tags (3)
0 Karma

joshua_hart
Explorer

I was able to extract all the fields using rex expressions. Now, how do I translate that into a permanent thing? I tried adding EXTRACT expressions to a props.conf file that is present on my HF, and SH systems, but when I search for that sourcetype, none of the fields are present in the field list. I'm using the same regexes in props.conf as I am in the rex search. Search is below:

sourcetype=sidewinder | rex field=_raw "\s+reason:\s+(?<reason>.+)$" | rex field=_raw "\spid:\s+(?<pid>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\slogid:\s+(?<logid>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\scmd:\s+(?<cmd>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\shostname:\s+(?<hostname>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\sevent:\s+(?<event>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\ssrcip:\s+(?<srcip>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\ssrcport:\s+(?<srcport>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\ssrczone:\s+(?<srczone>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\sdstip:\s+(?<dstip>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\sdstport:\s+(?<dstport>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\sdstzone:\s+(?<dstzone>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\sattackip:\s+(?<attackip>\S+)\s" | rex field=_raw "\sattackzone:\s+(?<attackzone>\S+)\s"
0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

Unfortunatly since there is nto constant delime you will have to use regex, I recommend doing so in a transform.

0 Karma

tgow
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The key-value extraction works best when every field is set to the key=value pair. For instance the server name is not in a kv pair so this might be why it is not working. I would recommend that you just build the fields using rex, erex or the field extractor.

Here is a quick shot at the regular expression to build the fields:

sourcetype=sidewinder | rex field=_raw "\s+srcip:\s+(?\S+)\s+" | table _time, srcip

0 Karma

joshua_hart
Explorer

I'll give that a try when I get in to work on Monday. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...