Splunk Search

Using comparison function within mstats

eregon
Path Finder

Hello fellow Splunkthiasts!

I need some insights to understand how comparison functions in mstats could be used. Consider the following query:

| mstats latest(cpu_metric.*) as * WHERE index="osnix_metrics" sourcetype=cpu_metric CPU=all BY host
| where pctUser > 50

As expected, it returns a list of hosts having latest CPU usage value higher than 50%.

However, according to mstats command reference, I can have comparison expression within WHERE clause and I'd expect it would be more efficient to rewrite the above query like this:

| mstats latest(cpu_metric.*) as * WHERE index="osnix_metrics" sourcetype=cpu_metric CPU=all pctUser > 50 BY host

Unfortunately, this doesn't return any results. I tried to refer to metric before aggregation with no luck:

| mstats latest(cpu_metric.*) as * WHERE index="osnix_metrics" sourcetype=cpu_metric CPU=all cpu_metric.pctUser > 50 BY host

What am I missing here?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Optimize Cloud Monitoring

TECH TALKS Optimize Cloud Monitoring Tuesday, August 13, 2024  |  11:00AM–12:00PM PST   Register to ...

What's New in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.2.2403?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.2.2403! Analysts can ...

Stay Connected: Your Guide to July and August Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Dive into our sizzling summer lineup for July and August Community Office Hours and Tech Talks. Scroll down to ...