Splunk Search

Users with the same roles, in the same app, and same search, are getting different results from AWS logs

sperkins
Path Finder

The search they are running is

index=* cloudtrail<bucketnumber>*

across a 7 day period.

Environment Details: We are using the Splunk Add-on for AWS on a search head cluster, On-prem.

On review of the inspect job log, it looks like one user's search is reaching out to source=s3://<aws smart store info> and the other users search is only searching the local indexes. Resulting in a drastic event return difference of 76 results vs 8500 during the same time period.

Steps I've taken:
I checked the app they are searching in and roles for each user (they are identical)
I checked the user folder in Splunk, their settings are the same even down to the time zone. 
Even tried adding the index name to the search and having the user with missing logs re-run it. Still no change in her results and the job logs are showing it is not reaching out to S3. 

Is there something I am missing? Is this an AWS app setting that I need to adjust? I would appreciate any thought you may have on this. Thanks! 

Labels (2)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Observability Cloud | Unified Identity - Now Available for Existing Splunk ...

Raise your hand if you’ve already forgotten your username or password when logging into an account. (We can’t ...

Index This | How many sides does a circle have?

February 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

Registration for Splunk University is Now Open!

Are you ready for an adventure in learning?   Brace yourselves because Splunk University is back, and it's ...