Splunk Search
Highlighted

Use extracted field in a subsearch

Communicator

Hi,

I would like to combine two searches. The first one gives me the session-id which i would like to use in a second search, e.g.

Query 1: index=main 123.123.123.156 source="/appl/log/www/access.log" |rex field=raw "\"\s\"(?[A-z,0-9,-.]+)"

Query 2: index=main $SessionID$ source="/appl/log/www/access.log"

Cheers, Andy

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Use extracted field in a subsearch

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi kochera

you could use something like that (I used a different regex for this example!):

index="main" 123.123.123.156 source="/appl/log/www/access.log" [search index="main" source="/appl/log/www/access.log" | rex field=_raw "(?i)^(?:[^-]*-){5}\s+(?P.+)" | fields requestid ]

the sub search will result in a list of:

( ( requestid="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" ) OR ( requestid="xxxxxxxxxxxx" ) OR ( requestid="xxxxxxxxx" ) )

and this will be used in the search.

hope this helps

MuS

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Communicator

Hi, thanks for your answer. I'm not sure if this gives me the correct result. I would like to check if the same SessionID is used with a different IP-Adress.

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

well then just leave the IP away in the main search, then you should see any SessionID of any IP.

Highlighted

Communicator

yes, that's what I'm trying at the moment

index=main source="/appl/log/www/access.log" [search index=main source="/appl/log/www/access.log" "123.123.123.156" |rex field=raw "\"\s\"(?[A-z,0-9,-.]+)"| fields + sessionid]

But somehow I don't get any results...

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

okay leave the IP completely away in any search; but then I wonder why are you using a sub search anyway?

Highlighted

Communicator

if I leave the IP away, then I see results but as you mentioned, this doesn't make any sense...

0 Karma