Splunk Search

Use call stats to calculate concurrent calls.

C37996518
Explorer

I have a data source that provides  call records for telephone calls. Each call record contains a call duration and timestamp.

I want to perform the follow calculation and graph it.

If i can determine the number calls per minute "A" and the average call duration (in minutes) "B" . Then A*B is the number of circuits in use (concurrent calls, erlangs)

Call/minAvg call MinCircuits

The following works. But it averaged over the hour so if the call rate is not uniform the result is misleading.

C37996518_0-1622248067910.png

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could do something like this to create start and end events for each call, then have a running total of concurrent calls.

| gentimes start=-1 increment=1m 
| rename starttime as _time
| fields _time
| eval CallDurationSecs=random()%1000

| eval starttime=_time-CallDurationSecs
| eval times=mvappend(starttime,_time)
| mvexpand times
| eval _time=times
| eval change=if(_time=starttime,1,-1)
| sort _time
| streamstats sum(change) as concurrentcalls

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By calculating start time for each event (one value) before mvexpand, thus creating only two events per original event, you solved my biggest performance killer back then.  Thank you, @ITWhisperer!

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

When asking a question, it is best to illustrate sample data (doesn't have to  be real), desired output,  and trial code if any, all in text.  Screenshot is very unhelpful unless it is simple graphs.

Back on topic. Several years ago, I had to solve a slightly more complex concurrency problem, in that in addition to duration, each "event" also has a count.  But I can no longer find that answer.  Fortunately, I was doing some forensics on my old computer today and found the piece in a dashboard.

Assuming data like the following

_timecall_idduration
2021-05-28 21:32:20call_139
2021-05-28 21:21:33call_212
2021-05-28 21:15:54call_329
2021-05-28 21:07:15call_42
2021-05-28 20:56:56call_515
2021-05-28 20:44:01call_64
2021-05-28 20:38:14call_737
2021-05-28 20:19:03call_86
2021-05-28 20:16:36call_915
2021-05-28 20:01:49call_1020

Here, duration is measured  in minutes.

The idea is to chop off duration into slices with  mvranage(), "convert" those  slices into new events with mvexpand,  each time-shifted by the slice's offset, then add the events up, like the following:

| eval inc = mvrange(0, duration)
| mvexpand inc
| eval _time = _time - inc * 60
| timechart span=1m sum(eval(1)) as concurrent

Here, I assume that time is stamped at the end of call.  If timestamp marks the beginning, time shift should use positive offset.  For accuracy, the timechart uses 1m timespan, the same amount  as unit of duration.

Here is  a sample chart:  (Total plots the concurrence count.)

overlapchart.png

It is produced with

| makeresults count=25
| streamstats count
| eval _time = _time - count * 600 + random() % 600, call_id = "call_" . count, duration = random() % 60
| fields - count

| eval inc=mvrange(0, duration)
| mvexpand inc
| eval _time = _time - inc*60
| timechart span=1m limit=30 sum(eval(1)) as concurrent by call_id
| addtotals

The first part simulates randomized sample data.  The chart is color striped (with  by caller_id) to highlight how call events are sliced up then added together, so addtotals is used to also show totals, and data  overlay is used so Total is not mixed into striped area chart.  As you are only concerned about total concurrency, there  is no need to sum by caller_id.

Hope this helps.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For accuracy, the timechart uses 1m timespan, the same amount  as unit of duration.

Maximum accuracy may not be all that  important in all applications.  Splunk's standard charts has a limit on granularity and  total timespan.  Sometimes, you just want to know what is the maximum concurrency in any given timespan.  To calculate this, divide time into bins that equal the unit of duration, then use a dedicated stats command before using timechart to calculate maximum (or average, or any  other statistics), like this

| eval inc = mvrange(0, duration)
| mvexpand inc
| eval _time = _time - inc * 60
| bin span=1m  _time
| stats sum(eval(1)) as concurrency by _time call_id
| timechart limit=30 max(concurrency) by call_id
| addtotals

The  following plots maximum concurrency in 5-min intervals.

maxoverlapchart-5m.png

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...