Splunk Search

Unable to nullqueue unnecessary lines without a date

babcolee
Path Finder

I have two lines of events that are unnecessary because there is no date and would like to null queue these out. I have tried several REGEX statements ( I have tried ^\s+(\<\/ns2:Subject.*\>), <\/ns2:.*\>, and to name a few) to delete these events. The Field Extraction GUI and REGEX online tester show a match. However, these events still show up in the search.
The data which needs to be deleted are as follows:
(Please note there are spaces showing before the events and they are on separate lines)

</ns2:Subject>
       </ns2:SubjectConfirmation>

transforms.conf

[TrashEmptySubject]
REGEX = ^\s+(\<\/ns2:Subject.*\>)
DEST_KEY = queue

props.conf

[smtrace]
TRANSFORMS-null = TrashEmptySubject
FORMAT = nullQueue
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

props.conf

[smtrace]

transforms.conf

[TrashEmptySubject]
REGEX = [\r\n\s]+<\/ns2:Subject[^>]+>
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue
0 Karma

babcolee
Path Finder

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, the events are still showing when I do a search after applying this REGEX

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

If you are doing a sourcetype override/overwrite, you must use the ORIGINAL value NOT the new value, then you must deploy this to the first full instance(s) of Splunk that handles the events (usually either the HF-tier, if you use this, or your Indexer tier), restart all Splunk instances there, send in new events (old events will stay broken), then test using _index_earliest=-5m to be absolutely certain that you are only examining the newly indexed events.

0 Karma

babcolee
Path Finder

Thank you for the help. We are not doing any sourcetype overide. We are getting these events directly from a forwarder, passing through one of two HF's (not being indexed), ultimately landing on a Splunk instance which is both search head / indexer. I have edited both the HF's and search head / indexer with these stanzas and we are still seeing these type of events.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My answer definitely should work. Did you notice that you had a line in props.conf that should be in transforms.conf?

0 Karma

babcolee
Path Finder

Here are my configurations:

props.conf
[smtrace]

transforms.conf
[TrashEmptySubject]
REGEX = [\r\n\s]+<\/ns2:Subject[^>]+>
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

0 Karma

pruthvikrishnap
Contributor

add FORMAT = nullQueue to transforms.conf, instead of props.conf

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...