Splunk Search

Trimming the value of a savedsearch parameter within the savedsearch

jeffmartin
Engager

I have a saved "MySearch" that takes a parameter "INPUT_SessionId", something like this:

index=foo
| ... some stuff
| search $INPUT_SessionId$
| ... more stuff

And then "MySearch" invoked like this

| savedsearch "MySearch" INPUT_SessionId="abc123"

My challenge is that sometimes me & my users accidentally invoke with curly braces around the SessionId (it's a long story), like this:

| savedsearch "MySearch" INPUT_SessionId="{abc123}"

When invoked this way, the search produces no results, which is confusing for user until they realize they accidentally included curly braces.

I'd like to change things inside of "MySearch" so that it strips curly braces from $INPUT_SessionId$ before continuing to use the value.

For a typical field value I know how to use trim like

| eval someField=trim(someField, "{}")

How do I do something like trim() but on the value of the parameter $INPUT_SessionId$ ?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let me clarify the requirement.  You want to modify the saved search so it can handle curly brackets that users may accidentally enter when invoking it.  If this correct, you can do something like

index=foo
| ... some stuff
| search
  [makeresults format=csv data="search
$INPUT_SessionId$"
  | eval search = replace(search, "{|}", "")
  | format]
| ... more stuff

(Note trim(someField, "{}") will not work in your use case because "{" does not appear in the beginning of $INPUT_SessionId$.)

View solution in original post

Tags (1)

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Let me clarify the requirement.  You want to modify the saved search so it can handle curly brackets that users may accidentally enter when invoking it.  If this correct, you can do something like

index=foo
| ... some stuff
| search
  [makeresults format=csv data="search
$INPUT_SessionId$"
  | eval search = replace(search, "{|}", "")
  | format]
| ... more stuff

(Note trim(someField, "{}") will not work in your use case because "{" does not appear in the beginning of $INPUT_SessionId$.)

Tags (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...