Splunk Search
Highlighted

Transactions and mvexpand on _raw

Path Finder

While there was a good question related to my problem, the answers aren't solving my problem.

I need to constrain data to a list of event times for a list of given objects. I can constrain this using transaction and a dedup. This seems to work as best as I can tell. Like with previous questions, I then need to run stats on the events in each transaction to summarize them.

Currently, the relevant bits of my search look like this:
-etc etc etc- | transaction transField mvraw=true | dedup assetID | mvexpand _raw | stats etc etc

The problem is that I can never get mvexpand to recognize that _raw is a valid field. Invariably I get "Field '_raw' does not exist in the data." Replacing mvexpand with a table command shows the field is there, however.

Tags (2)
Highlighted

Re: Transactions and mvexpand on _raw

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you tried to create a copy of _raw and then use that in your command. | eval rawCopy = _raw | mvexpand rawCopy | rename rawCopy as _raw

Highlighted

Re: Transactions and mvexpand on _raw

Path Finder

I just gave it a shot and voila, that seems to do the trick. I can't believe I didn't even consider that, but _raw seems to be fine in all other uses. I wonder if it's a change with the new version.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Time to get back to getting this report into shape!

Highlighted

Re: Transactions and mvexpand on _raw

Path Finder

The advice from sdaniels in his comment worked like a charm. Setting a new field to the value of _raw and then using mvexpand on that works. I'm not sure why _raw was invalid, but perhaps it is a change with version 5 of Splunk.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: Transactions and mvexpand on _raw

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Glad i could help. The underscore fields are treated differently in Splunk in general and sometimes you are required to create a new copy of the field to work on it.

Highlighted

Re: Transactions and mvexpand on _raw

Contributor

Hmm, with due respect (I know a lot of time has passed -- I'm on v 7.3.3), this might have worked before, but not now.

I'm trying to simply expand out the results of a "df -h" from a text'd output file -- and it's being very reluctant...

0 Karma