Splunk Search
Highlighted

Transactions/Stats?

Explorer

I have a log file that contains multiple fields that are time oriented fields. The fields in this instance are the start time and end time of a change request.

I would like to use the fields as start and end markers in a transaction to show me all system events that have occurred during the time window. The unique identifier will be the Hostname.

Log source with time fields.

Date:18/06/2011 10:00:00 Hostname:Foo Start:18/06/2011 15:00:00 End: 18/06/2011 15:00:00

Then I have all the system events.
I would like to pull all the system events together that happened in the window above for the hostname.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Transactions/Stats?

Builder

try this

mysearch | transaction by Hostname

then just set a custom time in the time dropdown to whatever the timerange is that you want.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Sorry perhaps my request was quite vauge, I want to automate this to complete for each change request line that I have. Therefore the search time should be as large a space of time as required to complete all changes for a given seach, therefore I need to use the two fields similarly to a transaction that includes startswith endswith.

0 Karma
Highlighted

You might want to use the map command to take the "Start" and "End" timestamps from your events and run sub-searches using them as parameters...

... | ... get the start and end timestamps as fields... | map search="search earliest::$Start$ latest::$End$ sourcetype=.... | transaction hostname" maxsearches=10
Highlighted

Explorer

I cannot reference the field that has been extracted using the earliest::$Fieldname$, either that or the map command as others have indicated on other posts is not working properly.

0 Karma
Highlighted

good point....what about converting the timestamps to epoch through the "convert" command, then using them into the "mapped" search as starttimeu and endtimeu?

0 Karma