Splunk Search

Transaction Command Broken when using non-default index?

lokival
Explorer

Good Day,

New to splunk, using version 4.2.3

Imported some zipped log files into splunk. I can search them just fine, but the transaction command doesn't work as expected. Using the transaction command to find the duration of connections.

The search being run is -

index=myIndex | search * | transaction myId maxspan=30m startswith="MsgNo=0" endswith="Hang up"

The results however are not accurate, I have results where the myId pulled for startswith is different from the myId field pulled for endswith.

However, if I import the data into splunk's default index the above search works as expected.

How can I fix this without re-importing all the logs into the default index?

Tags (3)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I agree with @bbingham; why are you using | search *? Try without it like this:

index=myIndex | transaction myId maxspan=30m startswith="MsgNo=0" endswith="Hang up"

Also try this:

index=myIndex | stats list(_raw) by myId
0 Karma

bbingham
Builder

Can you post an example of the data set?

also you don't need the |search *, index=myIndex| transaction myId maxspan=30m startswith="MsgNo=0" endswith="Hang up" should produce the same result with less overhead.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...