Splunk Search

Timechart to start from the most recent time where a condition is met

sssignals
Path Finder

Hi all

I have "my search | timechart avg(Throughput) span=5m by id".

For each id, the throughput fluctuates and and drop to 0 several times. I want to show the user the throughput from the most recent time + 1hour earlier. I do not need to show the older events where Throughput=0.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Try this:

my search
| bin span=5min _time
| stats avg(Throughput) AS Throughput span=5m by id _time
| eval zero_throughput_time=if(Throughput=0, _time, NULL)
| eventstats latest(zero_throughput_time) AS latest_zero_throughput_time BY id
| eval latest_zero_throughput_time=if(isnull(latest_zero_throughput_time), 0, latest_zero_throughput_time)
| where _time>=latest_zero_throughput_time
0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

by the way you can not run | eval zero_throughput_time=if(Throughput=0, _time, NULL) as there is no field generated Throughput by | timechart avg(Throughput) AS Throughput span=5m by id command.

I hope you understand what I am trying to say!

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

You're right. I edited my search to use bin and stats instead. That's what I get for trying to type out a search without actually running it like I usually do.

Good catch!

0 Karma

sssignals
Path Finder

Thanks mayurr98 for your suggestion. Tried but did not get the expected results.

For example, I am looking at 1 id only. The throughput for this 1 id fluctuates and drops to zero a few times over say a week, after which it will rise and fluctuate at a non-zero value. The most recent event that the throughput of this id drop to zero was eg. yesterday 4pm.

So I want to show my users the throughout for this id from the most recent event (where throughput drops to zero) in a timechart starting from yesterday 3pm and time range for 12hrs.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions on my problem in advance.
I really appreciate it!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

You can try something like

my search | bucket span=5m _time | stats avg(Throughput) as Throughput by _time id| where Throughput!=0 | xyseries _time,id,Throughput | sort- _time

Let me know if this helps!

0 Karma

mayurr98
Super Champion

Following your comment try this: first try for particular id and check the results and then do this for all

index=<your_index> id=<your_id> | bucket span=5m _time 
 | stats avg(Throughput) AS Throughput by id _time  | eval Throughput=round(Throughput)   | eval zero_throughput_time=case(Throughput=0, _time) | eventstats latest(zero_throughput_time) AS latest_zero_throughput_time BY id| eval latest_zero_throughput_time=if(isnull(latest_zero_throughput_time), 0, latest_zero_throughput_time)  | where   _time<=latest_zero_throughput_time+39600  | where _time>=latest_zero_throughput_time-3600 |where Throughput!=0 | chart values(Throughput) over _time by id

I hope this helps you!

Also you can try running above query in parts so that you can see what is happening after each |

0 Karma

p_gurav
Champion

You can use "my search earliest=-h | timechart avg(Throughput) span=5m by id"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...