Splunk Search

Timechart of event with duration

Wam79
Engager

I try make nice timechart how many objects are unavailable in specific time.
In my log I have start and end events from every outages and they are binded nicely together. Also I have calculated how long these outages are (in minute accuracy).
When I try to drad timechart with :

index=alarms event=add OR event=clear
| transaction event_id startswith=(event=add) endswith=(event =="Clear") keepevicted=true
| timechart dc(event_id)

I've got line stay up whole day. If I add span=15min (the accuracy what I want), I got only small spikes(15min), even those outages are 4 or 5 hours long.

Analog:
Restaurant have log on every seat when customer sit down and stands up. Every customer uses different time when they are eating. I want know how many customer we have in specific 15min timewindow in graph.

Tags (3)
0 Karma

nadid
Path Finder

For this kind of questions there is no need of sampling every second.

If you want to measure the concurrency of elements with a duration you should do:
* Align the buckets to a periods that you like

|eval bucket_time_size=1800
|eval start_bucket_time=START_TIME-(START_TIME%bucket_time_size)
|eval end_bucket_time=END_TIME-(END_TIME%bucket_time_size)
  • Create the ranges in a variable of the events for the bucket size you defined

|eval bucket_start=mvrange(start_bucket_time,end_bucket_time,bucket_time_size)

• Expand the variable (and the events)

|mvexpand bucket_start

• Assign the _time to the new expanded field.

|eval _time=bucket_start

With that you will have what are the concurrent elements in a certain frame of time. Calculating how much is really used in each bucket will be like the calculation of in the previous answer of duration_bucket.

More detail explanation in: http://answers.splunk.com/answers/223129/how-to-distribute-an-event-among-many-time-buckets.html

0 Karma

nadid
Path Finder

@warm79 , does it solves this to you?

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Whenever I see questions about keeping track of state like this I immediately think of this excellent blog post covering the subject: http://blogs.splunk.com/2011/01/11/maintaining-state-of-the-union/

0 Karma

Wam79
Engager

Well what I understand of that blog was "you should check status of your monitored item every second, if you want good occupacy report". I can't agree more that it is most reliable way to do that. I am not sure how vice it is when I have 1000+ items to look after.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...