Splunk Search

Time subtraction from different jobs

BenjamT
Explorer

Hi everyone,

I am currently facing an issue so I'm coming here to ask for your help. My issue is basic :

I get the data from differents JOBS. Here is an example of the data i'm getting :

Name="JOB1"  StartTime="2021-09-16 05:10:45+02" EndTime="2021-09-16 06:10:45+02"

Name="JOB2"  StartTime="2021-09-16 06:08:45+02" EndTime="2021-09-16 09:10:45+02"

As you can see, JOB1 start sooner than JOB2 but, JOB2 finishes later. I would like to have in a table in THE SAME ROAD the difference bewteen StartTime of JOB1 and EndTime of JOB2, in this case, the result should be then around 4H or 280 minutes (format Hour or minutes doesn't matter)

I can't figure out how to it, so thank you all in advance 😉

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval starttime=if(jobname="job1",strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),null())
| eval endtime=if(jobname="job2",strptime(EndTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),null())
| stats min(starttime) as starttime max(endtime) as endtime by date job
| eval difference=tostring(endtime-starttime,"duration")

View solution in original post

BenjamT
Explorer

Thank you for your answer, I should specify :

I get the data from the last 8 week and the jobs are running daily, which means that I get a table of data like this : 

BenjamT_1-1632322271785.png

Jobs are always running the same day, so you always get job1 start and end, job 2 start and end,

So what I would like to get is a table showing something like :

JOB1JOB2JOB1 START TIMEJOB2 END TIMEJOB2ENDTIME - JOB1 STARTTIMEDATE OF RUN (ex 09-22-2021)
etcetcetcetcetc 

I also get the date of run from the data, I just didn't show it in the screenshot

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval starttime=if(jobname="job1",strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),null())
| eval endtime=if(jobname="job2",strptime(EndTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"),null())
| stats min(starttime) as starttime max(endtime) as endtime by date job

BenjamT
Explorer

It looks like it is doing the job, thank you so much 🙂

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| eval starttime=strptime(StartTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| eval endtime=strptime(EndTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")
| stats min(starttime) as starttime max(endtime) as endtime
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but I tnink that OP would like to calculate "aggregate start time" and stop time for multiple series of overlapping jobs. Not just global start/end.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...