Splunk Search

Subsearch or ‘let stats sort it out’?

RocIngersol
Explorer

Hey folks. Help!

I have two indexes.

• Index 1 - Contains an authoritative list of AWSconfig accounts it.
  • index 2 - Contains cloudtrail data - logins by account

I want to list accounts that haven’t been logged into using my AWSconfig account list (index 1) as Index 2 (cloudtrail) only has logs of what has been logged into at some point...

I was going to use a subsearch to get a list of unique accounts from index 1 and then pass that into a search against cloudtrail (index 2) - but was wondering if I could use stats instead (cause y’know subsearches have limitations...)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Personally, I might use a lookup for this task.

I would create a scheduled search to build a list of authorisedAWSAccounts.csv from index1 and run that hourly/daily/weekly depending on your needs.

Then you can use that lookup in your search against data in index2 to add an 'isAuthorised" field.

Scheduled Lookup Builder
index=index1 yourSearchFilter|eval isAuthorised=true|table userName arn isAuthorised|outputlookup authorisedAWSAccounts.csv

Search index2
index=index2 yourSearchFilter|lookup authorisedAWSAccounts.csv [userName|arn] OUTPUT isAuthorised|search isAuthorised!=true

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

What are the event counts in both indexes (based on the search time range you'll be using)?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Personally, I might use a lookup for this task.

I would create a scheduled search to build a list of authorisedAWSAccounts.csv from index1 and run that hourly/daily/weekly depending on your needs.

Then you can use that lookup in your search against data in index2 to add an 'isAuthorised" field.

Scheduled Lookup Builder
index=index1 yourSearchFilter|eval isAuthorised=true|table userName arn isAuthorised|outputlookup authorisedAWSAccounts.csv

Search index2
index=index2 yourSearchFilter|lookup authorisedAWSAccounts.csv [userName|arn] OUTPUT isAuthorised|search isAuthorised!=true

0 Karma

RocIngersol
Explorer

I’m not looking for isAuthed per se more ‘from the a deduped list of master accounts in index1, have they been found logging in determined by the Cloudtrail logs in index2.

Lookup could work but.. will try and report back. Thx!

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Ah I see, its more like "from this list of users, who has logged in?"
In that case the lookup is still a viable solution - but maybe you can use a field name like 'reviewLogin' instead of 'isAuthorised'

0 Karma

RocIngersol
Explorer

Yeah. Sounds good!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...