Splunk Search

Stats - Why isn't Splunk converting _time to Human readable format

neerajs_81
Builder

Hello,
I have the below search

<base search>..
|stats values(Source) as Source count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by dest,Service_Name, Service_ID, Ticket_Encryption_Type, Ticket_Options
|convert timeformat="%F %H:%M:%S" ctime(values(lastTime))
|convert timeformat="%F %H:%M:%S" ctime(values(firstTime))

I got the above search from: https://docs.splunksecurityessentials.com/content-detail/kerberoasting_spn_request_with_rc4_encrypti...

Yet Splunk is not coverting the firstTime and LastTime values into human readable format. It continues to display in unix time. Please advise.

Results of Search:

neerajs_81_0-1652076510336.png

Note:  I also tried using eval before the stats command , but same thing   the firstTime and LastTime are still showing in unix format

| eval _time = strftime(_time, "%F %H:%M:%S")

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

values() is an aggregation function (used with stats command etc) not an evaluation function. Try it this way:

|convert timeformat="%F %H:%M:%S" ctime(lastTime)
|convert timeformat="%F %H:%M:%S" ctime(firstTime)

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @neerajs_81,

you should try to use the eval function after the stats command:

<base search>
| stats values(Source) as Source count min(_time) as firstTime max(_time) as lastTime by dest,Service_Name, Service_ID, Ticket_Encryption_Type, Ticket_Options
| eval firstTime=strftime(firstTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"), lastTime=strftime(lastTime,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S")

ciao.

Giuseppe

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Even better - use fieldformat. That way the value itself is left as unix timestamp and is easy to manipulate, adjust, compare and so on but is displayed in a human-redable format.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...