Splunk Search

Spunk Search Query for Trimming and Grouping

mbasharat
Builder

Hi,

I have a CSV named Results2018.
It has fields Group, Server, Issue.
The field Issue has information about CPU and Memory utilization from different sources.
The CPU field is populated in CSV as “CPU bottleneck detected on Server A”, “CPU bottleneck detected on Server B” and so on. Likewise, for Memory utilization as “Memory utilization exceeded on Server A” …. Server B and so on.

What I am trying to do it to trim, match and group CPU bottleneck issue value in this field in the CSV and take a total count of that (Not on Server A or B).

For example, trim down the field value to only “CPU bottleneck detected” and do a total event count on that.

I trying to get the top 10 issues with the highest count here for all the issues in this file.

Thanks in -advance for assistance.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @mbasharat,

Try this,

your search|rex field=Issue  "^(?P<message>\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+)"|stats count by message| sort count desc|head 10

Updated as per comments

|makeresults |eval Issue="CPU bottleneck detected on Server A"|eval Trimmed=substr(Issue,1,23)
---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

|inputcsv Results2018.csv
| rex field=Issue mode=sed "s/ on Server .*$//g"
| top 10 Issue
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @mbasharat,

Try this,

your search|rex field=Issue  "^(?P<message>\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+)"|stats count by message| sort count desc|head 10

Updated as per comments

|makeresults |eval Issue="CPU bottleneck detected on Server A"|eval Trimmed=substr(Issue,1,23)
---
0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

Hi Renjith,

Is it possible to use "eval" instead? Less complicated vs regex. The above one is giving syntax error.

| rex field=Issue "^(?P\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+)"

What I really need is to just pick up the A CPU bottleneck, skip the rest and get a top 10 count.

Thanks.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @mbasharat,
Rex works for me. I have tired like below

|makeresults |eval Issue="CPU bottleneck detected on Server A"|rex field=Issue  "^(?P<message>\w+\s+\w+\s+\w+)"

However, you could extract the substring also

If you only need CPU bottleneck, you shall include this in your base search Issue="CPU*" which will filter out Memory related.

Hope this helps

---
0 Karma

mbasharat
Builder

This worked!! THANK YOU

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

Hi @mbasharat,

Glad to hear. Please accept answer/vote if you dont have further questions on this

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...