Splunk Search

Splunk Visualization Char counting by wrong field

RyanDonnelly22
Explorer

I have a monitoring search, that we are viewing both as a graph and when drilling in, as the events. When viewing the events, the information is correct, no issue, but when viewing the data as a chart, every once in a while we get an error.

Normally the graphs bars are counting by the Clinet_IP and the number of event it sees, but for some it randomly switches to counting by by the user name (while still saying it's the Client_IP).... For clarification, most user names are either 'unknown' or 'domain\123456' but some are just '123456' and it's those that are causing issues.

I don't want to take out the usernames from the search, as it provides valuable information when the team is drilling into the events, but this error is annoying to deal with.

This is the search we are running:

index="pan_logs"

| search action=blocked NOT "symantec"
| fillnull user value="N/A"

| stats values(http_category) values(dest_name) values(user) as UserName count by client_ip | sort -count | head 100

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

How do you want to display UserName ?
123456 -> user123456 ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...