Splunk Search

Splunk Join not working

coolkris

I am trying to create a result set out of 2 search queries with a common field.I have tried multiple solutions provided but nothing seems to work. The queries have separate indexes and separate source types and the 1st search query searches for a particular text.

index = i1 sourcetype=s1 "Text to search" | join type ="left" field1 [ search index = i2 sourcetype = s2 app_message = "Completed" ] table field1 field2 field3

In the above query field1 is the common field and field2 and field3 are coming from the 2nd search query. But somehow this query produces values for field1 and no values for field2 and field3.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi coolkris,

try something like this:

( index = i1 sourcetype=s1 "Text to search" ) OR ( index = i2 sourcetype = s2 app_message = "Completed" )
| stats values(field2) AS field2 values(field3) AS field3 by field1

this will search both indexes and sourcetypes and lists values of field2 and field3 grouped by field1.

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

coolkris

Thanks for the answer. But even after executing your query, the values for field2 and field3 are displaying null. But the 2nd query as separate are showing values for field1. When I include in join, its showing null.
In the join query, when I see all fields available in the events tab, i see only fields from 1st query.

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Can you please post samples for both results, make sure they are masked before posting and please explain what in the events represents which field if they are not key value pairs.

cheers, MuS

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...