Splunk Search

Splunk DB Connect setup help

desimpkins
Explorer

Hello,

Just downloaded & installed v6 onto my Win7 computer. Have then installed Splunk DB Connect, trying to set it up but get the following error in a red bar across the top:

Encountered the following error while trying to update: In handler 'localapps': Error while posting to url=/servicesNS/nobody/dbx/dbx/install/java

Could anyone pls lend a hand? i have Java installed (perhaps the wrong type?) and i had thought the installation directory of my Java Runtime Environment was C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6 (or also tried \Computer Name\c$\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6). i tried with and without trailing slashes, network locations, etc but can't quite get it.

Feel like an idiot as im sure this is simple...!

any help hugely appreciated

Tags (1)

sherm77
Path Finder

Hi, in setting up Splunk DB connect on one of my search heads, I ran into the same errors. In the end, this is what I had to do:

On Red Hat EL5 server:

$ yum install java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel

$ /usr/sbin/alternatives --config java (only had one, just installed, selected that installation)

$/usr/sbin/alternatives --config javac (same as above)

The java binary is now in: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java

What you have to put in the Splunk DB connect app as the java home is: /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/ (this works!)

Also, if you are going to use the app for Oracle, you can grab the ojdbc6.jar file from: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-111060-084321.html You need to put it in: /Splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/lib. chown splunk:splunk ojdbc6.jar then restart Splunk and you'll be off and running.

I hope it works for you!

0 Karma

MartinMcNutt
Communicator

I have a batch file I call each time to install it so it is consistent on each server.

jre-7u40-windows-x64.exe /s IEXPLORER=0 INSTALLDIR=D:\apps\java\JRE

JAVA_HOME=D:\Apps\java\JRE7

[java]
home = D:\Apps\java\JRE
options = -Xmx2G -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -server -Duser.language=en -Duser.region=

If I go into the JRE directory...I see the BIN / LIB Directory.

0 Karma

ryanbla
Explorer

What did you end up putting for your JAVA_HOME?

D:\Program Files\jdk1.7.0_40\jre\bin\server

D:\Progra~1\jdk1.7.0_40\jre\bin\server

Can you share your java.conf file?

0 Karma

ryanbla
Explorer

Thanks! Got it working. Could have sworn I tried that 😕

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

JAVA_HOME points to the directory just above bin.

d:\program files\jdk1.7.0_40\jre

Don't use quotes.

MartinMcNutt
Communicator

The JRE 7u40 works fine for DBConnection. I suspect you had an issue with your install and the install of Server fixed it.

As lukejadamec mentioned, the install is not 100% reliable and install can get corrupt. If you look at the top level of the folders it looks ok. Only until you open the Bin directory you notice that the files are missing.

Also, if you plan on using it heavily I would change the default memory usage on the settings page.

desimpkins
Explorer

instructions said
Java Runtime Environment (JRE)
Before deploying Splunk DB Connect, install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Oracle Java SE Downloads.

Supported versions: 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7.
Do not use a hotspot (client mode only) JVM.

I thought my JRE 7u40 was ok, but eventually tried installing "Server JRE" and now am having more success. Im an idiot, but in my opinion if they simply added the word "server" it might save confusion of fellow idiots!

desimpkins
Explorer

If they simply added “SERVER jre” instead of just assuming idiots like myself would understand, then that would have saved me a long time! Whilst waiting for an answer, i (finally) found a server version on oracle website and then (finally) figured out how to install it, and it looks a lot better now (also had to manually configure DBX as per their docs)
Thanks for the reply.

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Is there a Java/bin/server directory in your java install?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...