Splunk Search

Simple subtraction between two searches

Fo
Engager

I have two very simple searches and I need to be able to get the difference. This is insanely hard for something that is so simple. 

search index="first-app" sourcetype="first-app_application_log"
AND "eventType=IMPORTANT_CREATE_EVENT" | stats count

^ this result is 150

search index="second-app" sourcetype="second-app_application_log"
AND "eventType=IMPORTANT_CANCEL_EVENT" | stats count

^ this result is 5

I'm trying to figure out how to simply do the 150 - 5 to get 145. I've tried `set diff` `eval` a bunch of different ways with no luck. I'm going nuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Fo,

please try something like this:

(index="first-app" sourcetype="first-app_application_log"  "eventType=IMPORTANT_CREATE_EVENT") OR (index="second-app" sourcetype="second-app_application_log" "eventType=IMPORTANT_CANCEL_EVENT")
| stats
   count(eval(index="first-app")) AS "first_app"
   count(eval(index="second-app")) AS "second_app"
| eval diff="first_app"-"second_app"
| table diff

One additional hint: don't use minus char in field names because Splunk knows it as the minus sign, use underscore (_).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Fo ,

as hinted by @ITWhisperer it was a mistyping for this reason I hinted to avoid the minus char!

(index="first-app" sourcetype="first-app_application_log"  "eventType=IMPORTANT_CREATE_EVENT") OR (index="second-app" sourcetype="second-app_application_log" "eventType=IMPORTANT_CANCEL_EVENT")
| stats
| eval diff=first_app-second_app
| table diff

Ciao.

Giuseppe

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Correction to @gcusello 's suggestion - when you quote field names on the righthand side of an evaluation, you need to use single quotes not double quotes (otherwise, Splunk treats them as strings and you can't subtract on string from another as they are not numeric data types)

| stats
| eval diff='first_app'-'second_app'
| table diff

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...