Splunk Search

Simple regex for capturing text between strings with different end anchors

Cuyose
Builder

I've been battling this, and I'm not sure if it's a bug in Splunk or what. This is for a field extraction.

I simply need to grab all text between the following character strings and assign a field name.

Here is an example event snippet:

Exception=12567 - INSURANCE_BOOKING - Sorry we are unable to cancel your Insurance as your coverage has already started, please refer to our Terms and conditions for cancellation policies. - aa5f6710-baa5-49c1-8efa-96c3b13a4cbf

I need to capture everything between Exception= and \n OR . - GUID OR :

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | rex "(?ms)Exception=(?<MyCapture>.[^\r\n:]+?)(?:[\r\n]|:|\.?\s+-\s+\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12}|$)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | rex "(?ms)Exception=(?<MyCapture>.[^\r\n:]+?)(?:[\r\n]|:|\.?\s+-\s+\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12}|$)"
0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

This is awesome, thanks! I can use this to deconstruct the syntax for other variables. I was working from a lot of documentation on regex, and I swear was doing things as documented and having crap luck. I really need to sit down and take an in depth refresher on regex.

0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

This seems close but still contains the GUIDS

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Show me non-conforming data and I can adjust.

0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

Exception=BAD_EXTERNAL_DATA - VOYAGER - Los datos indicados por el sistema externo no son los esperados - aa39147e-2cdb-47d8-a167-7175eff6496a

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You said OR . - GUID and this example does not have a period. I made the period optional and updated my original answer. It should work for both cases now.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

your base search| rex field=_raw "Exception=(?<Message>.+)(\n|:|\.\s+-\s\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12})"

Run anywhere sample with all three cases

| gentimes start=-1 | eval _raw="Exception=12567 - INSURANCE_BOOKING - Sorry we are unable to cancel your Insurance as your coverage has already started, please refer to our Terms and conditions for cancellation policies. - aa5f6710-baa5-49c1-8efa-96c3b13a4cbf" | table _raw | append [| gentimes start=-1 | eval _raw="Exception=12567 - INSURANCE_BOOKING - Sorry we are unable to cancel your Insurance as your coverage has already started, please refer to our Terms and conditions for cancellation policies
dfd. - aa5f6710-baa5-49c1-8efa-96c3b13a4cbf" | table _raw ]| append [| gentimes start=-1 | eval _raw="Exception=12567 - INSURANCE_BOOKING - Sorry we are unable to cancel your Insurance as your coverage has already started, please refer to our Terms and conditions for cancellation policies: additional text for test"  | table _raw]| rex field=_raw "Exception=(?<Message>.+)(\n|:|\.\s+-\s\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12})"
0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

How would this look in a field extraction transform? It does not seem to work when declared
(?i)Exception=(?.+)(\n|:|.\s+-\s\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12})

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Not sure if you'd need a transform.conf for this. You just put it in props.conf as EXTRACT

[yoursourcetype]
EXTRACT-message = Exception=(?<Message>.+)(\n|:|\.\s+-\s\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12})

OR from Splunk web, Fields-> Fields Extraction

0 Karma

Cuyose
Builder

This unfortunately does not break upon reaching any of the end anchors, but rather assigns all text to end of the event to "Message"

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Could you try this

EXTRACT-message = Exception=(?<Message>.+)(:|(\.\s+-\s+\w{8}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{4}-\w{12})|[\r\n])
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Troubleshooting the OpenTelemetry Collector

In this tech talk, you’ll learn how to troubleshoot the OpenTelemetry collector - from checking the ...

Adoption of Infrastructure Monitoring at Splunk

Splunk's Growth Engineering team showcases one of their first Splunk product adoption-Splunk Infrastructure ...

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...