Splunk Search

Showing all fields in search (including empty)

djfang
Explorer

Hi,

I would like to know how to show all fields in the search even when results are all empty for some of the fields.

I've tried

| fillnull value="NA"

but that only works when there's at least a value in the empty field.

So, I would like splunk to show the following:

header 1 | header2 | header 3
value 1 | < empty > | value 3

I would appreciate for any suggestions on this.

Also, I understand that one can also possible do something like

| eval header2=""

but I have over 200 fields and about a handful of them are not filled out depending on situations and would hope to see if there's a better way to do this than listing all the header fields manually in the beginning.

Cheers!

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I have 2 solutions:

You create a macro and use it like this:

... | `myfillnull()` | ...

Inside this macro you would iterate out every field like this:

eval header1=coalesce(header1,"N/A") | eval header2=coalesce(header2,"N/A") | ... | eval headerN=coalesce(headerN,"N/A")

Alternatively, you could create a lookup with each field laid out like this:

useThisToStripOut,header1,header2,...,headerN
useThisToStripOut,N/A,N/A,...,N/A

Then you could force each field to exist at least once by with append, then use fillnull, then remove the appended event like this:

... | append [|lookupcsv myfillnull] | fillnull value="N/A" | where isnotnull(usetThisToStripOut)

The latter is probably more efficient.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I have 2 solutions:

You create a macro and use it like this:

... | `myfillnull()` | ...

Inside this macro you would iterate out every field like this:

eval header1=coalesce(header1,"N/A") | eval header2=coalesce(header2,"N/A") | ... | eval headerN=coalesce(headerN,"N/A")

Alternatively, you could create a lookup with each field laid out like this:

useThisToStripOut,header1,header2,...,headerN
useThisToStripOut,N/A,N/A,...,N/A

Then you could force each field to exist at least once by with append, then use fillnull, then remove the appended event like this:

... | append [|lookupcsv myfillnull] | fillnull value="N/A" | where isnotnull(usetThisToStripOut)

The latter is probably more efficient.

djfang
Explorer

This is a follow up to the question that was previously asked but no conclusion was achieved.

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/67740/how-to-detect-and-fill-default-value-to-empty-value-field.h...

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

That question not only has answers, one of them was "conclusively" Accepted as "the answer".

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...