Splunk Search

Sharding searches / mcollect

jbuecse

We have several summary searches that collect data into metric indexes. They run nightly and some of them create quite a large number of events (~100k). As a result we sometimes see warnings, that the metric indexes cannot be optimised fast enough.

A typical query looks like

index=uhdbox  sourcetype="tvclients:log:analytics" name="app*" name="*Play*" OR name="*Open*"   earliest=-1d@d+3h latest=-0d@d+3h 
| bin _time AS day span=24h aligntime=@d+3h
| stats count as eventCount earliest(_time) as _time  by day, eventName, releaseTrack, partnerId, deviceId 
| fields - day 
| mcollect index=uhdbox_summary_metrics split=true marker="name=UHD_AppsDetails, version=1.1.0" eventName, releaseTrack, partnerId, deviceId

The main contributor to the large number of events is the cardinality of deviceId (~100k) which effectively is a "MAC" address with a common prefix and defined length. I could create 4 / 8 /16 reports each selecting a subset of deviceIds and schedule them at different times, but it would be quite a burden to maintain those basicly identical copies.

So...

I wonder if there is a mechanism to shard the search results and feed them it into many separate mcollects that are spaced apart by some delay. Something like

index=uhdbox  sourcetype="tvclients:log:analytics" name="app*" name="*Play*" OR name="*Open*"   earliest=-1d@d+3h latest=-0d@d+3h 

| shard by deviceId bins=10 sleep=60s

| stats count as eventCount earliest(_time) as _time  by day, eventName, releaseTrack, partnerId, deviceId 
| fields - day 
| mcollect index=uhdbox_summary_metrics split=true marker="name=UHD_AppsDetails, version=1.1.0" eventName, releaseTrack, partnerId, deviceId

Maybe my pseudo code above is not so clear. What I would like to achieve is, that instead of one huge mcollect I get 10 mcollects (each for a approximately 1/10th of the events). They should be scheduled approximately 60s apart from each other...

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What you suggest is not possible in a single search. Assuming the cardinality does not change much over the 24h period I don't suppose there is benefit in running the search hourly - which would produce more metrics and would need to be aggregated on consumption.

However, you could create N searches where the body of a search is a single macro, which runs your base SPL and you call the macro with the device id prefixes you want to search for. Not an elegant solution - but functional. 

I don't understand the message you say you are getting though - I am not familiar with that - secondly what is the impact of that message occurring - does it break the collected data in some way and does it stop other searches from working?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...