Splunk Search

Search not calculating percentages when a join subsearch is being used

lehrfeld
Path Finder

All - I have what I originally thought was a simple problem. I needed to calculate a percentage from two values in a row.

For example, my current output looks like

Repeat Phish Campaign   Total_Emails  E-Mails_clicked    percentage
2                           1000            100            
4                           2000            400
6                           3000            1500

I can't seem to get the search to calculate the percentage between the total and clicked emails. Here is the current search that generates the above output.

sourcetype=phishing_recipients repeat 
| stats count as phishingRcvd by campID 
| join type=outer max=0 campID [search sourcetype=phishing_clickers] 
| stats first(phishingRcvd) as Total_E-mails_Sent, count(userID) as E-Mails_Clicked by campID
| eval percentage = E-Mails_Clicked * 100 / Total_E-mails_Sent
| rename campID as "Repeat Phish Campaign" 
| table "Repeat Phish Campaign", Total_E-mails_Sent, E-Mails_Clicked, percentage

I am raising the white flag on this one...

Thanks! Mike

0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

This should work.

... | eval perc = email_clicked / total_email * 100

If you are not getting any results at all for the percentage, I would recommend you to rename your fields, so that they do not contain hyphens, i.e. Total_E_mails_Sent instead of Total_E-mails_sent etc..

/K

View solution in original post

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

This should work.

... | eval perc = email_clicked / total_email * 100

If you are not getting any results at all for the percentage, I would recommend you to rename your fields, so that they do not contain hyphens, i.e. Total_E_mails_Sent instead of Total_E-mails_sent etc..

/K

0 Karma

lehrfeld
Path Finder

Yup - great call. Splunk did not like the underscore in the field names. 3 hours of my life I won't get back 😉 Thanks! Mike

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...