Splunk Search

Search based on results of another search?

lnetherton
Engager

Is it possible to perform a search on a whole dataset using a subset of terms from a previous search?

For example, I have a search that yields all the failed transactions based on an event type:

sourcetype=catalina* eventtype=search_fail

I get back rows in the following form:

Mar 6, 2014 12:24:38 AM api.core.helper.LogHelper severe SEVERE: There was an error for search_id=530959

These rows all contain a search_id number. I would like to then initiate a new search for any search_id equal to these values, so that I can see all events leading up to these failures. Is that possible?

I have tried various things like:

sourcetype=catalina* eventtype=search_fail | search search_id
sourcetype=catalina* eventtype=search_fail | search search_id=search_id
sourcetype=catalina* eventtype=search_fail [ search search_id ]

But nothing seems to do what I am after.

Tags (1)

lnetherton
Engager

Actually, I've figured it out. I needed to use the fields operator to specifically select only the field that I want to use to search (search_id in my case). I also misunderstood the way that subsearches work -- it is important to know that the subsearch is evaluated first, and the result used to augment the outer search.

This search term ended up doing what I wanted:

sourcetype=catalina* [ search sourcetype=catalina* eventtype=search_fail | fields + search_id ]

It was useful to know that the sub-search operation implicitly appends a | format operator on to the end. Combined with the fields + search_id operation, the sub-search term is effectively expanded to something like this:

sourcetype=catalina* ( ( search_id="530959" ) OR ( search_id="529947" ) OR ( search_id="529938" ) OR ( search_id="529919" ) OR ( search_id="529793" ) OR ( search_id="529792" ) OR ( search_id="529568" ) OR ( search_id="529559" ) ) 

which of course produces the output that I was after.

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Please remember that there are row and time out limits for sub searches.... Sometimes those will hit if you are have two many rows in sub search. In those cases you must divide this search to two part e.g. first create lookup and then queries values from it on the actual search.
R. Ismo
0 Karma

slw07gdev
Explorer

You're the real MVP. 

0 Karma

butzowj
Path Finder

Wanted to thank you for this. I as able to use your example to solve a problem I had, and you also helped me understand how subsearches work!

Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...