Splunk Search

Search Query

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi Team,

There is an requirement in writing the search query. i.e.

index=xyz host=abc source=mno "Server starting" .

Actually the keyword "Server Starting" would be there atleast as 4 events in a minute. So i want the query to be in such a way of the keyword "Server Starting" is not present in the log for last 5 minutes then it needs to trigger an alert.

So in a minute the keyword "Server Starting" would be surely captured for 4 times atleast. So if the keyword is not present in the log for 5 minutes then it needs to trigger an alert.

So kindly help on the query.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

index=xyz host=abc source=mno "Server starting"
| streamstats count time_window=1m
| where count <= 4
0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@anandhalagarasan ,

Try

index=xyz host=abc source=mno "Server starting"
    |stats latest(_time) as _time
    |eval delay=round((now()-_time)/60,2)|appendpipe [stats count|where count=0|eval delay=9999999]
    |where delay >5

appendpipe is required in case you dont have the events for the selected time range. In that case , the result will be empty and the where condition evaluates to false.

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

@renjith.nair

Thanks for your swift response.

When I used your query and ran for all time the result seems to be showing as count=0 and delay=9999999

But my requirement is that if the keyword is not present in last 5 minutes of log then we need to get an alert.

So kindly let me know.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@anandhalagarasan ,

That indicates that you dont have the event which satisfies the condition. Do you have any events which has "Server starting" in it ?

Just to be sure , index, host and other search terms have to be adjusted to your actual value

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...