Splunk Search

Removing fields from _raw or similar

skippylou
Communicator

I'm trying to rex out a chunk of events, then remove that field from the events prior to piping to the cluster command.

So something similar to:

blah | rex "resolving '(?<some_fqdn>[\w\d\.]+)' " | fields - some_fqdn | cluster

So that the chunk extracted in the some_fqdn field doesn't contribute to making the event seem more unique.

I know that cluster by default analyzes the _raw field and am assuming that the 'fields - some_fqdn' is not removing from the _raw field.

So I guess my question is how do you remove a field from _raw prior to sending to another piped command, or how do you create a new field that is the equivalent of _raw minus some_fqdn (to then tell cluster to work off that new field)?

Thanks,

Scott

Tags (2)
1 Solution

ftk
Motivator

You should be able to use rex in sed mode to redact the _raw field. Something like this:

blah | rex mode=sed "resolving 's/[\w\d\.]+//g' | cluster blahblahblah

View solution in original post

ftk
Motivator

You should be able to use rex in sed mode to redact the _raw field. Something like this:

blah | rex mode=sed "resolving 's/[\w\d\.]+//g' | cluster blahblahblah

skippylou
Communicator

Worked perfectly! Thanks ftk!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...